There is a lot of information that agave is great for diabetics. You may want to read this article, and there are more online, before you use it all the time. We use agave sparingly, only in a few special recipes. Weston A Price has had articles on this for the past 5 years or so. Here is the most recent one.
http://www.westonaprice.org/Agave-Worse-than-Sugar-Nutrition-Foundation-Warns.html
I always cut the sweetener in at least half for all recipes. We really like raw honey, organic maple syrup, stevia both liquid and powder, coconut sugar, yacon syrup and xylitol sparingly…
Using stevia alone can make foods taste bitter, I will sometimes combine it with another sweetener.
By the way sugar cane is a grain, and many people avoid sugar because it is a grain…
While I don't use agave all the time, I do use it in certain recipes, but what I've been reading lately has given me pause. I'm just unsure what to replace it with. I guess I could try honey or maple syrup. I'm not a big fan of the artificial sweeteners, even the "natural" ones.
ReplyDeleteUgh, I hate trying to figure stuff like this out sometimes.
I was so excited about agave when I first read about it. I have used it in some of my baking but I discovered that it did not act any differently for Addison than regular sugar did. I actually started using maple syrup more when I want to sweeten something and find that it is a little less spikey than other things. I also cut sweetener in my recipes by 1/3 too 1/2 and find that makes them plenty sweet enough!
ReplyDeletewow you ladies stay up on everything about these sweetners . I find that agave does react like real sugar in your bgs . at least mine anyways.
ReplyDeleteTo replace they liquidy agave, you can add water to coconut sugar, stevia,honey or use yacon syrup or maple syrup and water down if needed.....
ReplyDeleteCan you just come cook for me and my family, please?? :-)
ReplyDelete