Thursday, March 18, 2010

Insulin at 2 am, oh my!!!!

It is so hard for a 14 y/o o get adjusted to having a life with T1. There are other factors like puberty, growth spurts, peers, and society that can weigh heavy on a boys soul, to add T1 it compounds it all.

We have been experiencing higher than normal numbers for a few weeks. Some for good reason, eating too much of the low carb foods I make ( having too  much of a good thing ), snacking randomly ( an old habit that is hard to break) and eating foods off of the food therapy plan. He has been running in the 130's-170's at times, during the day, which is high for him. We give insulin as needed, but his numbers were popping back up.

His 7 am numbers were high too ( 130's,140's), even with a bit of extra lantus.  For 3 nights this week Tyler went to bed with his b/g around 106, no snack. When I would check him at 2 am it was 205ish.. huh? what? how could it go up so high. His pre-bed numbers were 4 hours after dinner. So for those 3 nights I gave some insulin, not too much, just enough to bring him down to the 130's I hoped. I do not like giving humalog in the middle of the night... It did bring it down to those numbers, but why I thought, would his numbers go up like crazy???

This morning I had a chat with the endo. He told me the body makes glucose at night so that could cause it, or he is leaving the honeymoon phase..... OK back to square one in my logical mind.
Glucose at night I thought.. hmmm. Tyler has been going thru a major growth spurt over the past month. We grow at night and develop our brain during the day. So if one is growing, energy is needed to perform that task. Energy=glucose. So perhaps his body need that extra boost; which in turn raised his b/g levels. Looking back at the past month with too much of a good thing, trying to break old habits and growing could very well been the culprits. I would like to think so.....

This morning we awakened with great numbers and so far today has been one of the better ones in weeks. With some lessons learned, perhaps when we are faced with this again we will be better prepared, maybe not.....

2 comments:

  1. We had exactly the same issue his numbers were great at bed time and then at around 12-1 he would go in the low 200's. It is hard as you have to check more during the night. What I do is give him a small amount of regular insulin at around ten and this has helped to even it out although it hasn't helped with the checking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the idea when he is high before bed.
    We have had a good few nights.

    ReplyDelete