Sunday, March 21, 2010

Drop Biscuit Recipe-Low Carb

I was on Naturally type 1 blog and Jayne wanted a good drop biscuit recipe...
Here it is. I have adapted it from Elana Amsterdam's book called the Gluten-Free Almond Flour cookbook....
I always tweak recipes to our needs. We do not use much agave (yes, I know it is lower on the GI, but it is also very similar to HFCS in its nature) The recipe calls for Almond flour and the best flour we have found is from Honeyville. Bob's Red Mill just doesn't hold up the way I would like it to. There are also a few other mail order places that have good almond flour too.

2 1/2 cup. almond flour
1/2 tsp salt ( i usually use 1/4 tsp)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup coconut oil
2-3 tblsp. rapdura or sucanet
2 large eggs
1 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice

preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl combine the almond flour, salt, and baking soda,
In a medium bowl whisk the coconut oil, sweetener, eggs, and lemon juice.

Mix until combined. Drop the batter on bake sheet, about a large tablespoon blob....
Bake for 12 to 20 minutes depending on your oven. When tooth pick comes out clean biscuits are ready.

I have added grated goat cheese to this recipe and it was yummy.

These biscuits have about 4-5 carbs each when I make them. I also weight the ingredients ( in grams) and weight the final product to find the exact
carb count.
Joanne at Death of a Pancreas has a great formula to figure this all out.

enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment