One of the benefits for us of using food as medicine is that Tyler has not had very many lows below 70, on the same token he has not had very many long highs either, save for those few weeks at night ( on previous post) For example, when I checked him at 2 am and he was 90, he used to drop. Since I am programmed to his dropping, I would check several more times. 88, 93, 97 would be a sampling of his numbers. This pattern told me he was staying level.
I still check at 2 am and sometimes again because as you know, "you never know if it will drop".
We want so much for our kids to be rids of T1, for me, I am grateful for stable numbers, limited highs and lows and very little insulin. Food is doing this. It is not easy. I feel I am always in the kitchen cooking, baking or creating something. Actually, it is fun and I love when the kids join me. One day maybe I'll meal plan, cook in large batches etc, until then, one day at a time :)
But who better to give my all to, but my family. Every one has embraced this way of eating, so my cooking is for all, not making separate meals. There is a common thread of foods to eat and avoid when you have T1.
We have found that following the thread and listening to Tyler's body has made an incredible difference in managing T1.
Hi Alix,
ReplyDeleteI just found your blog via a response you posted to Bravebuddies. I am mom to two kids, including a 6-yr-old boy with T1. He's had it for over 5 years now. I am also currently studying to become a nutritionist so am in the midst of learning all of this first hand. I'm anxious to learn more about your experiences as I embark on a similar journey!
Thanks, Lisa
You will be an awesome nutritionist Lisa...
ReplyDeleteLearning by experience is the best.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete