Saturday, May 22, 2010

Kefir 101

Now that our goats are in milk, yes, it takes like regular milk :) we are making kefir again. It is a great way to get probiotics into your gut.
Here is how I make it.. Kefir is a natural probiotic, it is tart so we flavor it.

You begin with fresh or powdered kefir grains. I like using fresh and when you do your kefir grains multiply quickly and you can share with others.

2 quart mason jars

I fill the jars about 1/4-1/3 with kefir grains (or package directions)and add (raw) milk to about 2 inches from the top

loosely cover and place on counter for 12-48 hours depending on taste. The longer you let it sit, the stronger it will taste. Shake or stir daily. We enjoy the 24-28 hour taste.

Once it is the desired taste ( you will most likely not drink as is but flavor it) strain the kefir jar the liquid and fill the two jars back with the grains, add milk, begin again.

With the reserved kefir liquid, you can place in the blender, add honey ( a tsp. or 2 or more) or any sweetener you favor. We like to add cinnamon or berries and blend up. It lasts for 3-4 days (perhaps more) in the fridge. We rotate and always have fresh.

We drink about 1/4-1/2 c. two times a day. I may add it into a smoothie, or drink as is, very yummy either way!
Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. i feel healthier just READING your blog. this sounds like a fun project (as do all your recipes). what's the carb count? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The strawberry kefir rocks! Tyler really likes it.
    I'll send you the carb info when I figure it out... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know it seems lately you make me hungry reading your blog . LOL !!! I hope we are all dealing with the big d as best we can .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am proud of all of us on this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we are all doing what we feel is best for managing D. Each of our journeys look different.

    ReplyDelete