Thought I'd join in the blog week today after reading all your inspiring posts! Boy we are an incredible group!!!!
Lows look different now that we are using food therapy. Tyler's daily range is usually between 90-130. Lows are much less frequent these days. When Tyler came home from the hosp. lows were in to 150 + range, go figure. Now we don't really treat above 75 (unless he is active, then we decide on the best snack), we do monitor so it does not get lower, if he does we usually treat with food. If he is between 65-75 and it is meal time, he just eats, paying attention to how he feels and checking/treating if necessary. When he is active and he is low we use the handy glucose tabs knowing it will raise him about 20pts/tab. We keeps these handy at all times. We usually will follow with some protein to help him not to drop so quickly as the glucose wears off.
Food therapy has changed the lows. They do not drop very low anymore, unless I need to give Tyler a correction, then everything gets out of whack. At night sometimes when he is in the 90's, I'll check again 45 min later and if has not dropped, I check an hour or two later. If he drops, I'll treat with 4-6 (sometimes more) carbs. If he does not drop, I know I can sleep for a few hours!! Most nights he hangs in the 95-110 range, unless....we need to give him insulin (H) because growing makes him high, then I check hourly or so. The nights he needs insulin (H)are the nights we play rollercoaster with his numbers, fighting the lows. Sleep is never an option on these nights....Switching to levimer is taking some adjusting to at night, we are splitting the doses so he has less in him at night and less of a chance of going low... Finding Our Balance as usual!
No comments:
Post a Comment