Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Green Thirst

We have been making daily greens drinks. They are yummy. We rotate our green to get the maximum nutrients.

Kale and Apple Juice

In a blender

1.5 c. water
2 apples chopped
1/2 lemon with peel chopped. ( scrub very well if not organic)
a big bunch of kale ( or spinach, dandelion greens, etc)
a few ice cubes

Blend for a minute or so to really integrate it.
Strain through a sieve or mesh colander to separate the juice from the pulp.

Drink the juice
add stevia if sweetness is needed.

Save the pulp for recipes or compost....

*warning:  this juice may make you feel great, clean and like you got a burst of goodness. We avoid this drink after 4 pm!!!

I do have a great article on the effects of sugar on our bodies to post, BUT today I wanted to focus on the Good

4 comments:

  1. This sounds so yummy, but will a regular blender really do the trick?

    Again, I SO want a Vitamix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think any blender will do. You may just need to stop it and tamp and stir the stuff down
    I really liked my kitchen aid blender, the jar was glass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My blender had a glass jar too, until it broke and the company sent me a metal one as a replacement... UGH! They said they don't make glass jars for my model anymore (which at the time was less than a year old).

    I can't wait to try this recipe with Elise. Is Kale high in fiber? I always have issue figuring out how fiber will affect her BG.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kale has fiber, but it is well broken down when you let it blend for a bit.
    The benefits of the greens is immense. Tyler asks for the drink as a mid-morning boost. So far it has not had a major effect on his b/g, just depends in the day. There are 2 apples in it, just make sure Elise gets a serving (about 1/2 apple) or less. We drink the leftovers(where there are any) in the afternoon :)

    ReplyDelete