It will be 1 year this Friday (Oct 1) that Tyler was dx.
I have some questions. I did tuck part of this question into my last post and heard from a few, but as this day approaches there is a lot going on in both Tyler and my hearts.
Mama's (dad's too) how did this day affect you? Did you do anything to praise this second chance we have been given with our children? If you have a child that remembers life before T1 or were dx as an adult, how does this day affect them/you?
My mind is spinning right now, so many emotions, some still so raw. Tyler, being dx a month before turning 14 remembers life before, and in retrospect, how carefree his life used to be. He was never scared to go to sleep, and now he is scared he will go too low. So many changes, so many fears, so much courage and so much growing up. That is a lot in a year.
I look forward to hearing how you, my dear d friends have worked through this day.
Year 1 is tough, or shall I say, was tough on us. I don't think Joe really noticed though, being a preschooler and all. We did not make too big of a deal about it...discussed it breifly at the the dinner table...we may have even had a treat or something. Now, we just celebrated year 4, we talk about "d" and how sometimes it seems it was just yesterday and at other's a lifetime ago that Joe was diagnosed.
ReplyDeleteHow does Tyler want to acknowledge the occassion? Does he have any ideas?
Thinking of you as you hit this milestone. At least the "firsts" of everything (i.e. the first Christmas, the first Halloween, the first Birthday parties,....) are over and done with. You have some experience under your belt now sistah!
(((HUGS)))
First of all congratulations on 1 year!
ReplyDeleteI feel like it's more of a milestone for us parents than the kiddos, maybe that just because my d-Kid is so young? I just felt relief that I'd kept my baby girl healthy for a whole year! :) She didn't really get what the big deal was and just enjoyed a day out celebrating with her mommy. Maybe when she gets older she'll understand what a milestone each year really is!
William's first anniversary was a celebration for me...even if only a quiet one. Celebrating that he was still alive and healthy. Celebrating our fabulous D-team and the circumstances that lead us to them. Celebrating the fact that right now we have so many tools and treatments to keep our kids alive and well, when 50 years ago it would not have been. Celebrating our family's ability to roll with it, integrate it, move with it, and keep on rollin'. And, it wasn't until his 1st anniversary that was able to sit down and write our family's diagnosis story.
ReplyDeleteToday I'm celebrating one more kid, one more mom, one more family who's stickin' it to diabetes.
Rock on, Alix, Tyler, and your whole little incredible family!
Love, Mo :)
We didn't do anything special but the days was acknowledged. Nate is far too young to know what is going on but I sure did. It was weighing so heavy on me before the day but when the day came I did surprisingly well.
ReplyDeleteWe are all here supporting you! You've done an amazing job over the past year. Look how far you have come. Look how far we have all come.
Thank God all of children were spared.
Congratulations on your 1 year.
The boys were too young to recognize their one year. But we celebrate it with a dinner out and a toast to the wonderfulness of the boys. ((HUGS)) to you. Make it a day of celebration and reflection. Your son his alive, happy and well...because of all the hard work your family put in. :)
ReplyDeleteMy daughter just had her one year d-versary last month. She's 10, so we all remember life before dx, but she said she couldn't remember what it was like. It broke my heart a little and we had a good cry over it, which we rarely do these days.
ReplyDeleteI can agree that it was a relief to get past the one year mark, and things seem to be more routine now, even though every day has its unpredictable challenges.
I just followed her lead on if she wanted to 'celebrate' on the actual day or not. She just said she wanted hash browns. :)
My daughter was diagnosed a little over 4 months ago and reading your blog this morning- after two weeks of rough nights (with unexplained highs- not as scary, but oh, so frustrating as we are treating with diet as well) has brought on a current of tears. The tears are flowing because I've alwaspys believed in the healing power of the body and prior to these two weeks was beginning to feel like we could "cure" this...but I think reality is setting in that I ay have a depressing one year anniversary...marked with the black bags under my eyes of never really sleeping the same (partly because my 3 year old sleeps with me now, but mostly be ause I wake up so often just to feel her chest and know my baby is alive)...but we shall see, maybe I will feel more hopeful! At least I know that my family is healthier now by the foods we eat than we ever were before...
ReplyDelete