Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Normal Life

I am so tired.  We often  chase lows well into the night. Most nights we eat by 6 pm  and within 2-3 hours Tyler drops, even in meals where no insulin is give. We have many low carb meals where he gets full on less than his sliding scale.  He drops by 9pm and it takes hours to bring him up enough where we both feel safe for him to go to sleep.
Yesterday Tyler was high all afternoon, 250-325.  High and grumpy, moody, not feeling well etc. He had a great lunch, no insulin needed. What I come to find out is he had more snack than he usually does. He said he wants to be normal, eat when he wants, have a normal life. OK, if that does not bring a mom to tears..... He would not let me give him a correction. After, I come to find out when we talked, he does not feel normal at all when he is high, he cannot think clearly, he said he cannot do much, he is almost paralyzed. ( zinger number 2)
Last night he ate his dinner late, about 8 ish, he did not want to eat or anything before then. I gave him a shot and included the correction, actually we took the total (according to the carbs and correction scale) and divided it in half for a dose. He is very sensitive to insulin.
By ten he was 70, too low to go to sleep. We gave a snack, waited till 10:45 and he was 75. Gave another small snack, waiting till 11:30 he was 80. One more small snack, waiting till 12:45 am and he was 179?! OK, why the sudden spike? too much snack? but his numbers would not rise. His carb total was not super high, I gave small snacks 6-8 carbs.  I did go to bed, knowing he was high enough, but tossed and turned all night.
Do any of you wonderful mama's have any ideas? I am sooo tired and not getting any rem sleep.

Thank you so much for the award, life has been crazy here. When I figure out how to copy the award to the blog, I will post (when I am not so tired that  I have to paste my eyes open :)

9 comments:

  1. I hope everything gets better soon. It breaks my heart too when justin says "I just want a snack" , but his bg is in the 200's.
    I wish I could help... but I need some myself.
    Hang in there mom, you will figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few ideas.... give him a higher card snack like 15 to 20 carbs at night. Include some protien in that since the protien turns into carbs a few hours later this will help keep him up for a few hours. Then if he doesn't come up after 2 times wait a little more than 15 minutes to check him. Depending on what he ate it might take a little longer to digest it. That might explain the spike after so many corrections. Another thing that I just learned about taking baths or showers after getting insulin. If he eats dinner then goes to shower this will make his insulin absorbe quuickly since the blood vessels dialate in hot water. So if this is the case this could be why he drops too.

    I hate when either of my kids say something about wanting to be normal again....or the fact that I have to hold my screaming 2 year old down to give him insulin. IT KILLS ME! I try to remind them and myself that they have diabetes for a reason and it is part of what makes them special. Lots of hugs and kisses is the only way to take your minds off it. GOOD LUCK! I will be thinking of you!

    ps. sorry for the really long comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pump. The pump will make it so he can eat when he wants and what he wants...or not eat at all if he wants. If he needs a correction, he can do it descretley and if he is low, you can turn down his insulin basel for an hour, and not eat a snack if he doesn't want. It is one shot every 2 or 3 days, instead of multiple shots a day. I don't know if this is an option for your family, some doctors wait to give it until 3 months after diagnosis...but it changed my boys lives for the better. :) Good luck! I know how difficult the first year is...the lack of sleep is overwhelming! Just keep swimming...

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah i was going to say check with your insurance company and see if they will pay for a pump for him and it will change his life dramatically but if the insurance company wont pay consult your endo of what to do and tell them the problems you are having and maybe they can help .

    ReplyDelete
  5. We also have problems with getting Elise's BG up sometimes. A lot has to do with the type of carb we give her. We'll usually give her some banana to get her up quickly then follow it with some type of protien. Shannon had some good points in her comment, expecially the bath one. Nobody told us about that at first and now we're very careful about the timing of her insulin and bathtime. I think you need to wait something like 90 minutes after getting the insulin.

    Hope you figure it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What they all said!!! :) It's really a good idea to combine those carbs with a protein. And definitely, it sounds like time to start looking at a pump. At his age, I think he would be so much happier and feel so much more freedom. I can't wait to get one for Jada!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, Tyler would benefit from an Insulin pump. Jessi's 9 and uses Animas' Ping, she's got a pink one. Kaiser Insurance covered 80% on our plan. It eliminates the Lantus shot, and gives a constant low dose of Insulin all the time. There's a site area change every 3 days, so that comes out to 10 times a month, compared to 150 shots a month. Research is the best suggestion.

    Until then, I agree with the protein in the snack. The thing about Diabetes is that it is so unpredictable....especially when you think you've got things dialed in.

    Sorry you're having a tough time. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the ideas.. we are looking into a pump, Tyler needs to make the final decision. There are many pros and cons...We always combine a protein with our carb snack, that it was why it was so strange that the b/g would not rise and stay. Tyler knows to let the carb work for 15 min or so before eating the protein. He is high again today, we are going to change to a new bottle of insulin, it just occured to me that it is 40 days old, tho we were told we could go 45 day..
    Thank you for your support. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am behind on reading and blogging -
    It looks as if everyone gave great advice. I just wanted you to know that I am thinking about you and know just how you feel. We are having a lot of ups and downs with Nate right now. We are taking the pump class on 2/9 - Will make the final decision at that time.

    XOXXOX

    ReplyDelete