Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Big Mistake

Last night I gave Tyler Humalog instead of Lantus for his basal dose. He got 7 units of humalog, on a typical day he does not even get a total of 7 units of humalog. Yup, I sure did. After dinner, about 30-45 min later, a vision of the Humalog bottle came to my mind and that is when I realized my big mistake. Tyler freaked out, scared he was going to drop low and die..
I called the Dr. and he asked for Tyler to eat and we were to check his blood every 30 min or so for 4-5 hours. I tried to feed Tyler, but his fears were not allowing him to eat much, gag, etc. He ate some glucose, drank some juice and downed some gel, but he was hysterical and wanted to go to the hospital.
It is not always easy to reason with a 14 y/o who has read a lot about the disease, so Brian took him to the ER. We just had a huge snowstorm, there was 3 ft of snow and the roads far from being clear. I called our small but wonderful hospital and informed them Tyler was on his way, he did not need to wait a minute when he got there. He was fine. They put him on a bed, in the area of non-emergencies, no iv or anything, They checked his blood 4 times in 4 hours, gave him a few things to eat and that was it...
They arrived home about midnight. Tyler was shaken up from the experience... but fine.
As for me, I felt terrible that I could make such a mistake. I felt like the worst mom in the world last night. I am working on forgiving myself and feel blessed by God that I was able to realize the mistake before he dropped too low for what I would have thought was no apparent reason. Breathe Alix, breathe!

7 comments:

  1. I've loaded the Humalog in the syringe before and "just happened" to realize it wasn't cloudy right before I gave it to him.
    I am glad he is okay...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((HUGS)) Okay....you got through it!!!! These things just happen sometimes and you did great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness!! I am so sorry you had to go through this...and poor Tyler, how awful is it thinking you might die? As much as I completly know what an awful experience this was for you all...you must continue to find a way to forgive yourself. It was no accident you remembered that bottle you used...we have angels as back up. I know this for a fact. I have made this mistake before too.

    Look forward...I am so glad all is well! We learn and we move on. It is the only way to stay sane. (HUGS)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all make mistakes!! I know this 1st hand. It's ok - you said it - breathe!
    Everything turned out fine. I know Tyler must have been SO scared - bless his heart!

    Like Meri said - We learn and we move on. I think you are amazing!! Hugs to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your support. You are wonderful friends!!!
    A big snowy hug to all of you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoops!

    By the Grace of God things worked out and I'm so glad you guys are ok! Much as Tyler freaked out, you worked together as a family and did what was best for him. He took an active roll in the decision and should be proud of himself for it. Try to be proud yourselves, you did well and made the right decision after the fact!

    You can breathe now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I mixed Elise's NPH and Humalog up twice in the beginning (giving her N in stead of H) and would call up the endo in tears trying to figure out how to fix it. We started colour coding our vials to make it easier.

    Thanks for your comment on my blog today... I often forget that I need to make sure I'm okay, so I'm always last on my list. But after reading your comment, I decided to stop trying to get everything done and made a big pot of steel-cut oatmeal (my favourite!) and simmered some blueberries and blackberries together to top it off. Nothing like having your belly full of some yummy food to make you feel better.

    Thanks for the reminder and the love!

    ReplyDelete