Saturday, February 12, 2011

chopped salad and a dog

sometimes we get tired of lettuce salads, even when lots of yummy things are added. that is when the chopped salad comes into play

it is simple to make and offers a different texture.
you can add any veggies you like, though i usually stick to crunchier  ones.
some crunchy veggies that we like
carrots
cucumbers
celery
radishes
colored bell peppers
onions
jicama
broccoli
i am sure you get the idea.
you can add cheese, avocado etc

chop the veggies small and toss in a bowl. if you like fresh herbs, chop those and add them too.

a dressing we like is a balsamic vinaigrette. i do not have measurements because i go by taste.
i add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, a tsp or 2 of dijon mustard, crushed garlic, salt and pepper. add ingredients and mix well. adjust to taste. toss together and serve.

oh, and about the dog. we ran into some acquaintances and told them about tyler. the man looked at us and said "i know how you feel, our dog has diabetes and we need to give him a shot once a day"
what could i say to that??????

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, what exactly can you say to that?!?!? I guess it's with any situation that you have no clue what people go through until you're in it yourself. On a happier note, I LOVE balsamic vinaigrette! I use 1/2 canola or olive oil and 1/2 balsamic, sprinkling of Splenda (I use Truvia now)to desired sweetness, sprinkling of garlic salt and pepper. I'll have to try it with the dijon. I'll have to check and see if it's gluten free first. My problem is that I like salads like this but Andrew doesn't. I just keep presenting them and ask him for just 1 bite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGH on the dog!

    And...I just tried a chopped salad a couple of weeks ago when my mom was visiting...she made us one. It was delicious!!! Great recipe. I'll have to give it a shot. Joe loved the chopped salad too! win.win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had someone say the same thing to me about her cat.

    I love me some chopped salad! I make one with avocado, feta cheese, tomatoes and candied walnuts. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE green-less salads! Tomato, cucumber, those lovely colored peppers, asparagus, maybe some artichoke hearts. I top it with a 4-bean salad and a wee bit of feta or goat cheese, and a lovely olive oil/vinegar/honey mustard dressing. Heaven! As for the diabetic pet comment...speachless...I had a NURSE in an ER say that to me once. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete