Friday, August 6, 2010

Rewind To Monday Night

 I was ready to post this the other day, but it has been a busy weeks full of ideas and decisions..

Back-Up to Monday Night

10 pm- Tyler's b/g 170 ( a bit high but OK, lev. on its way)
            Humalog given at 7 pm
            Levimir  given 5.5

12 am b/g 150

2 am b/g read "below 20 too low too read"
         What???? My heart skipped and i checked again
         again "below 20 too low to read"
         ran to my room for gel and glucagon
         I awakened Tyler, told him what was going on and how did he feel, tested while talking with him
         and gave him gel to take
         again "below 20 too low to read"
         "I don't feel that low mommy"
         Here comes the drill of Mommy questions to see if he is aware..... and yes he is!

2:15 b/g 27, gave him two glucose tabs, moved him to my floor, he wanted to walk and said again he did
        not feel that low

2:25 b/g 68
        gave him a snack

2:30 b/g 101

2:45 b/g 220... huh? 220? really?  did the math on al the carbs and how they raise his b/g
        the math tells me that he should have raised about 115-120 max.....
        if that is the case, I am thinking he was never that low
        even if i gave the carbs more control and said 150, that would have only made him 60-70 at 2 am,
        maybe a wee bit less

I checked often through out the night and got random numbers like 34, 51, 29 nestled between 210, 190, 178

Tyler was scared the rest of the night that he would go low again... I told him I would check him often and to try to get some sleep.  Called the Dr. in the morning and he agreed that Tyler could not have been that low without any symptoms.. Suggested we reduce to lev. for a night to keep him a bit higher and to talk with him the next day..... After I hung up the phone with the Dr., One Touch got a call from me. They were concerned and said they would ship a new meter and strips out that day.
We think the strips were defective since random lows of 20's and 30's appeared though out the day.

one more thing...
when I tried to awaken Tyler to go milk the goats he did not respond, I could not see his body moving up and down with the breath. Panic set in, I called to him several more times when finally he stirred and said "what, huh???"

What a horrible night......





      

    

9 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that is too scary for words. I hate when we can't even trust the equipment we have to rely on to keep our kids alive. I hope the new meter and/or strips work and things get better. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry Alix. Hopefully your new meter and strips will not be defective. Surely Tyler would have felt the effects of low blood sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post took my breath away! Holy Cow Alix! Too scary! You know, if he really was that low...his liver could have shot out some sugar of its own. I would throw that meter away. Far far away. Hope tonight is MUCH better!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! I would have lost it. I am glad you posted this... if I ever have it happen, I know to switch the strips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Cow! Scary!! I AM SO GLAD HE IS OK!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meri,
    Do you think the liver would shoot enough insulin to make him act totally normal if he were that low???

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds VERY scary Alix. So glad everything is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes, how stressful. I totally agree there's no way he could have been that low without any symptoms. Is he normally pretty aware of his hypos? I assume so since he hasn't had it so long. Definitely toss that meter and never look back once the new one comes. And see if you can sneak in a nap somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry you had to go through that! I am sure this was a very stressful night which led to some stressful and nonrestful days and nights this week. I hope you are hanging in, and the new meter worked right!

    ReplyDelete