Monday, June 14, 2010

The Kitchen

I am coming to realize more and more - that the kitchen IS the center of my home.  Even with spring drawing us out of doors, the kitchen is where I seem to return to. As of late, I am finding that I spend a substantial part of my day here, so much, that I purchased a pair of awesome cushiony pair of thongs to help my legs not get so tired standing on the tile floor. The kitchen is not only a place to nourish my family with home cooked meals and snacks. It is where we school, where many projects occur and where we re-connect at meals and at the end of the day. When I am not sure what to do, I am drawn to the kitchen for inspiration. Is it time for a snack, to cook a meal or to find that list of to do’s. This is where I find my center and when I find my center, I can emerge refreshed and calmer; armed for the next adventure.
Some days I feel lost on what to do (as there is so much to do), I may gravitate to the garden for a while, play in the sun with the kids, do some laundry, tidy up here and there and looking for ways to add beauty to my home. After a while of doing this I find myself in the kitchen, having a cup of tea or a glass of lemonade a child has made. Noticing the clock, I realize it is meal time or snack time. As I prepare the next meal, I use this preparation as a meditation, noticing the vibrant colors of the veggies I am cutting, smelling the aroma of the seasonal fruits and feeling the different textures of the foods I am using. Trying to include as many senses as I can. When we are having a rushed day, sometimes I forget to do this and I can feel a difference in myself. I feel hurried, scattered and not connected; it can begin to feel like a chore. Sometimes it is a chore, another meal to make, another snack. It is those other days in the kitchen that make it all worth while. It is a healthy balance. When I feel balanced I am a better mommy, wife and friend. We are finding our balance in this world of diabetes.

7 comments:

  1. I love the slowness of a summer day. It is so rejuvenating to the soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah the kitchen is the hub sometimes and maybe it should not be but as the old saying goes "notin like somethin from the oven " . Yes I love the slowness of the summer day LOL !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how the seasons guide us..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written, Alix. There have been periods when I loved planning and preparing meals, but it has sadly become a chore. Somehow putting so much heart and energy into a beautifully prepared, fresh, lovely meal and having our picky eater groan over it before it is even served...well, it is disheartening. Especially when that picky eater has T1 and would benefit greatly from beautiful meals. I admire your family culture that supports good eating :) - Mo

    ReplyDelete
  5. your family is certainly lucky to have someone so happy and skilled in the kitchen (and you're lucky to get to spend so much time somewhere you find so much joy). it's also the center of our home...when we can get away from our computers to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The out of doors is my first choice of where my family and I want to be..
    But food has to be made, so why not try to enjoy it as much as possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your blog, Alix. I hope you are doing well, my friend. I just added a link to your blog from mine...hope you don't mind. TTYS.

    Jayne

    ReplyDelete