We had four days this week when we did not need to give humalog, only lantus. Tyler really loves the one shot a day thing! Some times though, he runs a bit higher than we would like (120-140) when most of the time he is 85-110. It is not high enough to give insulin as he will fall too low.
We are totally pleased with the food therapy we are doing, it works well for us. We eat lots of the same type of foods, except we replace "flours" with almond and coconut flours. The whole family is on board with this plan. The kids dark circles under their eyes have gone away, so has the small rashes and eczema. The kids say they feel better being off of gluten and cow dairy.
Lantus has been the most difficult to adjust as Tyler's needs have changed. He has been running low at night,I have been up 5 nights this week at least two times. When we lower his dose, he runs a bit too high. After talking with our endo, he agreed we should split his dose into two. We hope that split doses will also help his wee bit highs during the day. Now everything I have read says not to split lantus only levimar. Do any of you split doses? Any experiences shared would be appreciated.
We used to split out lantus on the recommendation of our Endo. It was just what we needed for a while and then it changed so now are back to one single dose in the morning. I think splitting the dose can be really helpful especially if you are having trouble with lows or highs at a certain time every day.
ReplyDeleteHey Alix,
ReplyDeleteWould you mind sharing what a typical day of meals might look like for your family? I am really interested. If you don't want to make a post you can email me at iamyourpancreas(at)gmail(dot)com
Thanks!
Hi Jen,
ReplyDeleteI am planning on posting typical meals! All I need to do is to remember to write them down when I make them.. sigh
Thanks for the reminder :)