Sunday, January 24, 2010

The food therapy is working great. It appears that when he breaks this cycle (with a snack or meal) we have trouble finding our balance. Low carb= little b/g fluctuation
For us, there is so much inspiration out there. Food Therapy looks different for everyone. Our diet is and has always been based on whole, real foods, limited processed foods and low sugar. What I had been studying prior to Tyler's dx is the effect of grains on the body. We were all raised on them as a food group, but grains are hard on the body. Going Against The Grain is a great intro book to understanding more about grains.
We have decided for our family ( hubby is trying his best )to remove most grains from our diet, wheat, barley, etc.. all processed foods (we have never had a whole lot of processed foods). Processed foods most always contain wheat, soy and corn.. High allergy foods. We have replaced these with almond flour, coconut flour, quinoa, bean flours, etc..smaller servings of rice and rice pasta (Tyler needs a shot if he eats more than 1/4 c. of rice and rice pasta)We now make spaghetti with spag. squash or julienned sauteed veggies, it is the sauce that makes it!
The first week was the toughest, when everyone wanted bread and toast, but as the weeks move on it is not really an issue. I am creating 'bread' that is very low carb.
Tyler went for allergy testing and we now know the foods that he has a sensitivities
to. By eliminating these foods, his body has less inflammation it needs to fight. Removing these foods helps his body heal.
There are days when it is tough and he slips a bit, it is a practice and hopefully will become second nature.
They say new habits take 31 days to become the norm, we are almost there!

Here are a few sites that I enjoy. We tweak them to fit our needs.
http://livingwithouttype1.blogspot.com
http://www.elanaspantry.com/
http://www.diabetes-book.com/ ( he is very strict with his diet,but offers a lot of food for thought)

3 comments:

  1. I am so interested to hear more about how this goes for Tyler and your family. We have always eaten a whole grain, minimal processed foods, minimal dairy diet. I find it a little overwhelming to think about eliminating grains all together but I would do anything to make my son's quality of life better. I was astounded to read about other type 1 diabetics who have opted for food therapy and no longer depend on insulin. Thanks for introducing some alternatives...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,
    we have so many days where Tyler gets no short term insulin.. just Lantus. It was hard for the first few weeks, but now it is becoming second nature. it is not always easy, but neither is life in general :) He now can choose if he wants a shot or not based on what he eats and how he snacks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I may be looking into the links that you posted :)

    ReplyDelete